[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YO Gaming Community - View topic - HeavyD = Hero

HeavyD = Hero

Due to unforeseen circumstances this forum has been delayed 24 hours.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Moderator: YO Members

YO Clan Member

HeavyD = Hero

Postby MrYiff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Dark Carnival finale is now actually playable, yay!

HeavyD = :mrt:

YO Clan Member

Re: HeavyD = Hero

Postby princess » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:04 pm

:dance:

Re: HeavyD = Hero

Postby heavy_d » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Glad to see it was well received, even if I only got to play it once before the valve patched version(which I suspect still kinda sucks).

Anyway, I have been working away on making another map more challenging in versus, and this time I chose c4m3 to tweak. I'm sure it's not at the top of everyone's list of imbalanced maps, but there's two reasons I targeted it. Firstly, I thought it was a shame that the alternate routes are regularly eschewed for just trudging straight through the water. Secondly I saw it as a warm up to tweaking c4m4, which is more often considered too easy. c4m4 may remain unfixed for a while yet, there are so many routes through the map that it's almost impossible to channel players onto the rooftops.

c4m3 on the other hand required only a handful of entities in two places to drive players out of the water. In technical terms the entity hack is much cleaner than the c2m5 one ever was. Firstly, it's only additive - only inserting new entities means that it's relatively straightforward to restore should a revised version of the map be created. All that would need doing is clearing enough space in the entity block, and then pasting the set of entities in. The way I did the c2m5 hack before involved modifying existing entities as well, which requires much more effort to replicate in the new version of the bsp (ergo I haven't done it). Additionally, I ensured that the hack only affects versus mode - in coop none of the added entities appear. While I made sure c2m5 was playable in its other modes, most of the added barricades still appeared.

In actual fact, I am a bit worried that I've changed c4m3 from being a slightly easy map into something that's too hard. The second modified spot creates a "long reverse" which is comparable to c5m4's spot at the float. A smoker in the right place will send survivors on a long loop around to regain the escape route. It needs some testing to ensure balance, so who do I talk to about the server these days?

Return to Left 4 Dead