[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YO Gaming Community - View topic - The basics

The basics

Due to unforeseen circumstances this forum has been delayed 24 hours.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Moderator: YO Members

The basics

Postby Yeti » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm

So I just bought the game, for the ridiculously expensive price of 49.99$...
and while its downloading I came here to find some tips and basic server info (wtf? wheres the server ip? I tried the demo server ip but cant find it)

Now I cant find my IRC installer, so until then, how about giving me some advice so I wont get you all killed on my first week :P
(and you "pro tips" thread is worthless for actual noobs :)

YO Clan Member

Re: The basics

Postby Fluffy Kitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 pm

You don't join via server IPs, you join via lobbies.

Join the YO L4D Steam Group ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/yol4d ) and people will invite you to games.

As for "noob tips" : learn by doing, it's not that hard to get in to.

Postby Yeti » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:33 pm

thanks, I didnt touch steam for a year now, so I dont really remember how to join a steam group kinda, pressed that join group button in that link you gave, but nothing happens :/

YO Clan Member

Postby Fluffy Kitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:47 pm

You'll want to do that through Steam rather than your internet browser.

Postby White Kite Fauna » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:16 pm

l4d is a different concept, which valve forced on us poor
i dont now what's the idea - they want us to play on "a server" not on "the specific server"?
i also just started with it

woot there is no "quick save" in single player ? :o

Call me Ann

Postby snb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Singleplayer is essentially multiplayer with (terrible) bots. Don't play it.

The only way this game is supposed to be played is with friends on expert. Hit Fluffy or Bart or me up on Steam if you want to be taught the game properly. :)

GAYLORD OF YO

Postby Rebellion » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Postby Yeti » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am

Ok, So I understand you need to spawn a boomer in the last second,
you use the smoker while the survivors are busy,
but I need some help with the hunters/tanks...

Whats the idea with the hunter? I have no problems latching myself on ppl, But its only effective when the other survivors cant shoot you down, which happens like ones or twice in the game, what am I suppose to do till then? just get killed endlessly every time I attack?

And the tank, it moves at the same speed as the survivors, so it means if they know the map a little, and they wont get stuck like me, tank are easy to kill, So I guess thats where team works comes in, prob is, tank has to attack and might have problems coordinating an attack with the rest.

And on survivor side:
I noticed a lot of ppl take the machine guns... I personally like the shotgun, does it matter?
and is the best tactic is just to melee a lot and use pills all the time?

YO Clan Member

Postby SMudgeh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:25 am

I do a few things as Hunter

1. Try and go for hits from high up, as you do pounce/landing damage on them, as well as slashing the life out of them

2. Try and go for the person who is lagging behind or running ahead

3. Just leaping around as a distraction can be quite useful for slowing people down

The Tank I have good and bad (very bad) times with, and it depends on where you've spawned really. Make use of the interactive objects (cars, logs, bins, hay etc.) which you can use to knockdown survivors by punching them. Keep your control meter topped up but don't just run in and get killed. Sometimes its better to stay alive and let the other infected pick them off, or until they've been boomered, and then go charging in :D

Call me Ann

Postby snb » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 am

As a general tip applying to all infected, what you need to do as a team is to distract the survivors in some way before attacking. Don't go in on your own. Wait for your teammates to spawn (HUD!).

As Hunter, when someone's been smokered off the group, pounce the rescuer(s). If you have time, melee the smoker's victim while waiting. When 2 or more have been boomered, pounce on the ones that haven't been. You can do a lot of damage with properly timed teamplay, often even end a round with one proper boomer attack. Unless someone on the other team is being an idiot and runs off, or you get extremely lucky, the only real damage you can do on your own is either pouncing from great height/distance and getting the 25 damage bonus, or setting yourself on fire and getting some lucky hits in. Also, when someone's really low, you can often down him with 1 melee slash or a lucky pounce, so keep an eye on their HUD (TAB!). It's basically L4D's minimap.

As Smoker, try to pull people to where they have a long way to catch up with their team or ideally, where they can't be saved. Your victim also takes fall damage and gets incapped on roof edges, so try pulling people down windows/buildings/etc. On boomer attacks, try to pull non-boomered people off as far as possible.

As Boomer, spawn when they're distracted, have stopped to shoot something, got stunned from a hunter pounce, etc. Watch their outlines. Don't spawn when they're looking at your direction, ready to shoot. Puke on them from behind or walk into people's line of fire when they're shooting in one direction (at a smoker/hunter victim, a horde etc). Ideally, guess or know what they're gonna shoot at and when (watch their outlines and your teammates' ghosts and communicate). Block their lof before they can save someone. As survivor, nothing's more annoying than a billion zombies surrounding you, fucking up your aim.

As Tank, stay back and throw rocks until they get boomered or distracted another way. Don't get set on fire, look out for petrol can traps and who's got a molotov (TAB!). You can't catch up with anyone above 40 HP, and even then it's hard because bullets slow you down. The effectivity of a tank relies solely on its teammates. The boomer should spawn behind survivors as they're running back, hunters and smokers should focus on the ones with a molotov and try to separate them.

Basically, separation and distraction is the key to winning.

Call me Ann

Postby snb » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:12 am

Postby Yeti » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:31 am

I dont think I use the auto-shotgun thing, im just crap with assualt rifles and sub machine guns do to high fire rate, and even if I shoot in bursts I run out of ammo too fast. maybe Ill change to sniper...

I didnt know about the hunter bonus pounce damange, im kinda good with pouncing as the leap skulk thing comes back to me :D
How much damage secondary attacks do? (of the three normal type zombies)

Call me Ann

Postby snb » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Postby Yeti » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:32 pm

one thing I noticed when im playing, is that I either dont look back at the tank, and run like hell, letting others deal with it...
Or I look at it and die, either by getting stuck in a tree, a rock, door, wall, zombie, garbage can, princess, or a small level change on the floor....
And dont tell me to combine those two, cause I tried that, and it ended up with me running straight to the burning tank thinking it was princess stuck in the toilet...

YO Clan Member

Postby Fluffy Kitten » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Note : Mere minutes earlier he had shot and incapped Princess as she was running away from the tank and got her killed.

Postby Yeti » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 pm

what can I do, zoey's model and the tank's model look so similar :/
same reason I always get spooked by luice when he sneaks up on me and shoot him in the face with a shotgun...

Resident YO Forum Troll

Postby MaD SrsH » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 am

YETI! :dancing:

Call me Ann

Postby snb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Postby White Kite Fauna » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:27 pm

played first time versus on yo server (apparently) yesterday with sirfight. Oh the amout of epitets i earned from some spikzor guy :) - i thought that was something specific to NS :)
Well, reading the topic now, I see I did all that is listed as "do not ever .." :D

I mean, round begins, and they crouch around an open door for 2 min. Wtf? I figured they are afraid to lose score points dying, or something, and rush out first. Got vomit all over me of course. I probably go back to a non-versus mode, as I never won that on expert so far anyway.

Return to Left 4 Dead