Black Mesa (Source)

A forum for other games that people may have a passing interest in, e.g. Dystopia, BF2 or anything else that might take our fancy from time to time.

Moderator: YO Members

puzl
NS Dev

Post by puzl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 am

denzil wrote:omg go buy Half-Life, now! It's like £3!

We're trying to push as fast as we can, hopefully we will have closed beta testing with public invites soon :)

I bought HL to play NS. I tried playing through the single player game, shortly after my infuriating ping of 250+ drove me away from NS for a while. I got, i dunno, about 5 hours into it. I had just made my way out only to be hunted back in by the swat guys who came in off helicopters. I was really bored at that stage anyway, so I just stopped playing.

Single player FPS games don't turn me on really, but I'll definately be into doing BMS coop stylee.

LaYkE
Computer Ninja

Post by LaYkE » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:52 am

Something similar here too Har.

Although when I got bored of it I h4xed and skipped to the last lvl with all weapons to see the highly dissapointing ending.

princess
YO Clan Member

Post by princess » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:00 am

I stopped playing at the same point puzl :) I'm not interested in single player games, really, I like having people around to save me!

Image I'm a twit

viper

Post by viper » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 am

Cant believe you haven't played through Half-Life in all it's glory yet!

puzl
NS Dev

Post by puzl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:02 pm

different strokes and all that. I generally don't finish a game for the sake of it, if I get bored, I stop playing.

I've probably only ever finished one or two fps games in my life. rpgs are a different story though. I enjoy non-linear games a lot more.

SMudgeh
YO Clan Member

Post by SMudgeh » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:34 pm

puzl wrote:Single player FPS games don't turn me on really, but I'll definately be into doing BMS coop stylee.

Same here. I get bored very quickly in SP. Coop and MP ftw

Chris3h

Post by Chris3h » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:56 pm

Also a multiplayer fan here. Only a couple of SP FPS games have sucked me in to make me want to play to the end.

Sleepy
DOTA?!!

Post by Sleepy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:19 pm

I like the themesong and the rest of the music a LOT.

Looks brilliant, very brilliant even and it looks like one of the best efforts ever in HL history.

Can't wait to try it out. Go denzilbread! <3

goku_ssj_uk

Post by goku_ssj_uk » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:06 pm

I never finished HL1, HL2 on the other hand was the first real game I tried on my new PC - after owning it for a whole year waiting to play it :P

AdamBracegirdle

Post by AdamBracegirdle » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:40 pm

I've been through hl1 three times I think. The first time back in the day, a while after that, then before I started HL2. Did the same for HL2 ep 1. I enjoyed it. I got a PC just to play it. I am annoyed that I looked at a walkthrough for one part though, should have worked it out.

Can't wait to play Black mesa source.

viper

Post by viper » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:08 pm

Tend to agree on the more linear SP games. I do prefer MP and RPG's for single player, but there is the odd SP game that's linear like Half-Life, which I have really enjoyed for the story line.

Sleepy
DOTA?!!

Post by Sleepy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Viper shoud try metal gear solid 1 and 2 (available on pc :P 3 is ps2 only), those are the only games that can match half life.

Though, graphics are dated of course.

I've begun playing hl1 again, fifth time now. Thanks denzil :p

viper

Post by viper » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Played and completed both MGS 1 and 2 :D

Flamez
YO Clan Member

Post by Flamez » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:49 am

Sleepy wrote:Viper shoud try metal gear solid 1 and 2 (available on pc :P 3 is ps2 only), those are the only games that can match half life.

ss2 and deus ex. nuff said

Sleepy
DOTA?!!

Post by Sleepy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:51 am

Flamez wrote:
Sleepy wrote:Viper shoud try metal gear solid 1 and 2 (available on pc :P 3 is ps2 only), those are the only games that can match half life.

ss2 and deus ex. nuff said

SS2 as in serious sam 2? :p We're looking for a nice story in a game here, not just some humour that pops up every ones in a while while shooting through armies of strange looking monsterlike creatures. Gets boring too soon for me :p

maelvino

Post by maelvino » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:00 am

This looks absolutely amazing and it will mean a lot to loads of players, HL1 was the best single player experience ever.
Two hands working can do more than a million clasped in prayer.

Obraxis
YO Clan Member

Post by Obraxis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:13 am

maelvino wrote:This looks absolutely amazing and it will mean a lot to loads of players, HL1 was the best single player experience ever.

Now it's going to be the best single player experience in Source ;)

I have a feeling it will be better, and better looking then Half-Life 2.

BaRT

Post by BaRT » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:02 pm

Sleepy you are stupid aren't you? =)=)
SS2 stands for Süstem Shock 2 :P

Word on the deus ex thingie :p
Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.

viper

Post by viper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm

I have never played, and don't think I will ever play Deus Ex or SS2. Just hasn't appealed to me for some reason.

Bit like when people say Resevoir Dogs is this amazing film you have to see. I've never seen it and doubt very much I ever will. Not because I think it's lemming-like - a good film is a good film. Just haven't had the urge to sit down and watch it.

Zor

Post by Zor » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm

I've tried Deus Ex. Got bored 5 hours in (!) but I might appreciate its subtleties more if I ever did give it another go. I've also tried SS2. I found it really fucking scary at the start even when there were no monsters at all (!) Thus I promptly shat my pants when I actually did meet the first monster. I remember hearing this dull thumping all of a sudden, so I turned around and saw this psycho zombie with a spanner beating the shit out of me. :( (I turned off the comp 5 seconds later and uninstalled it lol!)

btw: I have the same thing with Reservoir Dogs too viper! Never got round to seeing it.

viper

Post by viper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Such a wuss Zor :lol:

LaYkE
Computer Ninja

Post by LaYkE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:18 pm

I admit, I am too freaked out to play Doom 3.

scotteh
YO Clan Member

Post by scotteh » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm

doom3 i loved, too short tho :(

dues ex, amazing, dues ex 2, far too easy! just upgrade to get the remote droids and take everyone out with out ever having to get into contact with them.

crysis looks good, a new farcry using the crytek engine. farcry was pretty decent, dunno about the pc game, but ive got it on the 360, pretty decent story, good action, quite original.

bioshock is by the same people who did system shock. should be a video out somewhere showing u a walkthrough of the first level, pretty good in the fact that every time you play it (load up a checkpoint) it should be different, the AI isnt assigned routes or patrols, it wanders off and does its own thing, they have jobs to do and you are just getting in the way.

and the battles with the "big daddy's" take arround 10 minutes to take them down.

halo3 nuff said, you can diss it all you like if you've only ever played the PC version or halo2. but if you've read the books, halo3's can only be too cool.

recently got gears of war, thats a pretty amazing game, for the fact that you die so so much, every encounter with an enemy is a real battle, and the cover system is great, but made better by the fact that the AI communicate to flank you so camping behind 1 piece of cover and blasting away rarely ever works.

best example of a bad FPS lately.... "Prey"

something like 13 years in the making, and its an utter piece of shit, 4 maybe 5 enemies in the whole game, 1 is a little creature like the barking eye monster things in the first levels of HL. 1 you see only in the last 3 levels. and the AI on all of them is utterly basic. they spent years developing this portal technology for valve to make something similar in a few months and release it for free.
rageaholic

viper

Post by viper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:13 pm

scotteh wrote:the barking eye monster things in the first levels of HL.

nice description, lol!

AdamBracegirdle

Post by AdamBracegirdle » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Just got Gears of War, it's stylish, but the script is pretty damn cheesy. Not convinced by the action either. Feels a bit too Time Crisisy so far.

Went through Deus Ex twice, second time upgrading all melee combat ;) Not normally an RPG type, but I played it like an FPS.

Apparently the shocks in doom 3 get all to predictable, but I only played the first 20 minutes. Maybe I'll try again.

One that doesn't get talked about much is Vietcong. I found the combat parts quite enjoyable and it got the right genre feel, challenging too.