Cheating in NS2

All matters relating to the Natural Selection 1 & 2 side of the community.

Moderator: YO Members

princess
YO Clan Member

Cheating in NS2

Post by princess » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:19 pm

I know our server has a lot of really good players (and some really bad, like me!) but I found a video on the NS2 forums which has made me question the skills of some players on the server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhRapfzpn4Y

There's plenty more if you search for "ns2 hack" in youtube.

Should I be questioning the ability of some players more?

I've certainly encountered several incredibly dodgy players, but always just assumed I'm too awful, and they are obviously too good. In the majority of cases I'm sure this is true, but it makes me wonder are there more hackers in NS2 than I thought?

Image I'm a twit

snb
Call me Ann

Re: Cheating in NS2

Post by snb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm

A well programmed aimbot is pretty much impossible to spot with certainty with the current spectate system, but I don't think anyone regularly playing on YO is hacking.

Aim aside, you can usually tell a good player by their game awareness and intelligent playstyle. Some people with really good aim are shockingly bad at both, but in most cases it's probably just them playing with voice muted cause they don't care about anything but their own frags.

If in doubt, if someone is good at skulk or fade, it's very unlikely they're cheating. Otherwise, why go through all the risk and effort?

princess
YO Clan Member

Post by princess » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:45 pm

True true. I know some of the regular good players are just too darned good for a nub like me but there's rarely that odd, random nobody who I just wonder "what if...". I'm not accusing anyone regular on the server, just wondering out loud :)

Image I'm a twit

Obraxis
YO Clan Member

Post by Obraxis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

This particular cheat is now VAC-bannable. We know this because it caused a ton of drama on the official NS2 forums when a prominent NS2 Comp player got VAC banned for installing it and using it to 'see if others were cheating'.

But keep an eye out.

N1KE
Britney Spears Fan

Post by N1KE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm

You should install one of those HLTV's that broadcasts to a webpage, but with a wallhack installed so everyone can see.

Trancer
YO Clan Member

Post by Trancer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

To throw another point into the mix. Sometimes we get players who are really good join the server. They may be hacking or may just be really good. Sometimes 2 or 3 come on at once.

The challenge in these situations; hacking or not, is that it so significantly skews the balance of play that it kills activity on the server - one by one people start to leave.

Looking at it from the perspective of keeping Yo Clan server a nice place to play; these situations are what frustrates me most, hacking or otherwise.