Average Joe's Matches

All matters relating to the Natural Selection 1 & 2 side of the community.

Moderator: YO Members

mytzu

Average Joe's Matches

Post by mytzu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:26 am

Hello everyone,
Been playing NS2 for almost 1 year, most of the time on yoclan server.
I have noticed that in this game only the pro's play team vs. team matches and this puzzles me. I was wondering why normal/avarage players do not form up small teams of 6 and go play one against the other. Last night was talking to Ina, Oblivion and Terror about this and they said maybe we should give it a try and talk to players on yoclan to see if they are interested.
We could make a clanbase like data base for these matches, which encourages teams around same skill level to play (basically if a much better team plays vs. a lower skilled team, it does not win much points, and in some cases it might actually loose some).
Playing team vs. team, no matter the skill level, is an extraordinary experience and would be a shame to not have it from NS2.

All we need to do is form up teams (made up of regular players) and do a database to keep up the scores.

princess
YO Clan Member

Re: Average Joe's Matches

Post by princess » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm

I think it's a lovely idea. You'll have YO's backing I'm sure. Go for it!

Image I'm a twit

mytzu

Post by mytzu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm

We made a parser to keep the matches score, the ideea behind it is to discourage matches between high skilled and lower skilled teams, in order to do so, when a higher level team plays against a lower level team, it gets less points if winning and will loose points for draw and lots of points for a loss.
When a teams registers it will automatically get 100 points.
After a match has been played, teams will introduce the final score (4-0 / 3-1 / 2-2 / 1-3 / 0-4) and the parser will automatically calculate the new level of each team.

We will need to run tests with the parser and find bugs, so any help will be appreciated. The test parser will be hosted here: http://www.znu.ro/calcul/interfata.html
Basically u need to introduce the initial level of the 2 teams (Initial points Team) - useful to make it somewhere between 80 and 300 points - and the final score (Points Team 1 / 2; you introduce the won rounds for each team). Ignore all other fields for the moment.

Once the parser is working properly, we will also create a database and a website to host this thing.

snb
Call me Ann

Post by snb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm

I would take part in this, but I'm afraid I'm just too good a player.

mytzu

Post by mytzu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:51 pm

tonight at 20:00 GMT+1 6 vs. 6

mytzu

Post by mytzu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:33 pm

The match last night was awsome ! I really enjoyed it, hope you guys did 2 !

We started by choosing 2 captains who tossed a coin and decided who starts picking team members first.
First 2 rounds the teams were a bit uneven and the team lead by Galahad won both rounds. So we modified teams a little bit and next 2 rounds were won one by the Galahad team and one by the Lerk Air company : ) So in the end it was 3 Galahad - 1 LerkAir

Hope u do not mind if I use the chance to test the parser after such games, so here it goes:

Considering each teams starts withh 100 points, Galahad 3 LerkAir 1 =>
Final score Galahad = 102
Final score LerkAir = 98

Here are some screenies from the begining of the games:

mytzu

Post by mytzu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Sorry for not posting the outcome of the sunday match, have some probs on my head right now.. Took some screenies and recorded the whole thing, won't have the time to edit anything this week.
First 2 matches were commanded by Galahad and Badhabbit and the score was 1-1, than badhabbit gave command to LerkAir and score was 2-0.
Those were some really good 4 games - at the end I couldn't even focus my eyes on the skulks..

Risking to annoy all of you, I will keep tracking scores (best oportunity to see if this model functions right). I;ll just consider that we had 2 matches, in one Galahad vs. Badhabbit (1-1) and in one Galahad vs. LerkAir (2-0).

The initial scores before these games were:

Galahad = 102p
LerkAir = 98p
Badhabbit = 100p (new entry automatically gets 100p)

Using this parser: http://www.znu.ro/calcul/interfata.html ,after those games, the scores modify as follows:

After match #1
Galahad = 101.02p
Final score Team 2 = 100.98p

After match #2
Galahad = 100.36
LerkAir = 98.66

..so there's a bug right at the end; will fix it and come back with new scores.