Remove ns2_descent?

All matters relating to the Natural Selection 1 & 2 side of the community.

Moderator: YO Members

Remove ns2_descent from the mapcycle?

Yes
50%
No
25%
Not bothered
25%

Total votes: 16

princess
YO Clan Member

Remove ns2_descent?

Post by princess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Yay or nay? In fact, what would be your ideal mapcycle on the server?

Image I'm a twit

Scant.en
CULLED!

Re: Remove ns2_descent?

Post by Scant.en » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Descent is horribad. Worse than mineshaft. I'm not gonna be mean and demand it's removal if it's frequency can just be reduced (for example once a day at 4am :flame:) but if there isn't such an option in the map list than I'd rather it were gone than stay. I feel similarly about mineshaft and still hate it less than descent.

Ideally I'd like to see a couple of maps like maybe le ns2_jambon bunged in to see how they play out on pub and mix things up occasionally.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Why is there are rabbit in my signature...?

snb
Call me Ann

Post by snb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

ns2_tram
ns2_refinery
ns2_veil
ns2_summit
ns2_mineshaft
ns2_docking

snb
Call me Ann

Post by snb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 am

why would anyone ever vote no for this complete piece of shit?

SHOW YOURSELF

Obraxis
YO Clan Member

Post by Obraxis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am

I like it. Games I've had I've enjoyed and I had a number of people ask for it to be on the map list when it was removed before on YO.

Ah forget it
YO Clan Member

Post by Ah forget it » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 am

I like it too, balance may need tweaking but it's nice to have another map to play.

tappi

Post by tappi » Sat May 04, 2013 4:28 pm

I'll post the same points here as I did in IRC:
  • Poor starting positions; Fabrication and Monorail start only has one safe RT if enemy controls Hydro -> they either deny or control Energy flow. And if Monorail close start with Drone bay and Drone bay team control Hydro -> say goodbye to the rest of the map.
  • From the upper point Hydroanalysis is a badly implemented Crossroads from Summit. The tech point is an even more important central tech point to to control than in Summit and almost always decides a match.
  • Useless rooms; The only use of Water treatment is for an aggressive phase gate or a gorge tunnel. If the room doesn't have either one it's basically not used for anything, not even attacking hydro because of the stairs.
  • Useless vents; Not only did the map maker make vents in this map in useless places most of them have have considerable vertical length which makes it slower to go from place to place. Drafting middle vent is slower to travel through than just going through Drafting normally because of vertical distance and because skulks cannot effectively wall jump in vents. It's also almost faster to go from Water treatment to Monorail through Silo than through the vent because of these two points. Not that anyone would be in Water treatment to begin with. The only useful vents in the map are the Launch control vent towards Hydro, the upper South corridor vent, and the upper Satellite Relay if you're base rushing Monorail or Drone Bay with close spawns and don't care for the Observation RT. And maybe finally Hydro vent for gorge shenanigans.
  • Huge size, normally I don't think it would be a problem if the map was otherwise good but because of the other flaws it makes for boring as hell slow games in the best case or restricted to 1/2 RTs 10 minute concede cringefests in the worst.
I think the map should be removed from rotation until it's worked on more by the mapmaker. As for the full map rotation the other two problem maps have been Mineshaft and Refinery with Mineshaft having more problems. That being said I've found myself having fun on Mineshaft some already and maybe even a lot. I'm not saying it doesn't have problems but I don't think it has enough problems to be taken from the rotation. On Refinery I've had loads of fun and I think it should stay as well.

So for the full cycle the cycle that Snb already said looks good:

Code: Select all

ns2_tram
ns2_refinery
ns2_veil
ns2_summit
ns2_mineshaft
ns2_docking

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't particularly hate descent any more than mineshaft or refinery. I think they' re all pretty poor.

My main issue with the map cycle at the moment is that there is 4 good maps and 3 bad ones, so it seems every other map is a bad map and it pisses me off as I don't play that much.

I don't want to see them gone completely because just playing 4 maps is boring. Is there anyway we can just reduce the amount of time the 3 poor maps are in rotation? It doesn't seem to be possible from the little I have read about the map cycle.
CP

snb
Call me Ann

Post by snb » Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 am

Descent does possibly have potential of some day being a playable map as long as drastic changes actually happen. Refinery and Mineshaft have proven to be lost causes no matter what gets changed IMO, but right now both of them actually play better than Descent. I say remove it at least until the next version, see if it's fixed then, and if yes it can replace Refinery or Mineshaft and get one of two sought-after "bad map" spots.

georonin
YO Clan Member

Post by georonin » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 am

I disagree,

I love decent and when it does not play well it ends fast unless you have a troll team.

It is actually one of my favorite maps with reasonably balanced teams.
GeoRonin

snb
Call me Ann

Post by snb » Sun May 05, 2013 11:58 am

Uuuuhm you haven't played NS2 in like 2 months? Try playing it now that people figured out all you need to do is secure Hydro. The map plays like shit and you can literally not claim otherwise no matter if you like the map for whatever strange reason or not.

georonin
YO Clan Member

Post by georonin » Mon May 06, 2013 3:51 pm

I do still play fairly regally, its just with my broken PC im lucky if I manage more than 1 match befor I crash
GeoRonin

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 pm

georonin wrote:I do still play fairly regally, its just with my broken PC im lucky if I manage more than 1 match befor I crash
Anything you need to help? I've got loads of perfectly good 2 year old hardware sitting around accumulating dust since I upgraded my PC.
CP

georonin
YO Clan Member

Post by georonin » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

Motherboards a bit fucked basically (Half my ram slots don't work, things stop working randomly) so not to bad to fix, but being unemployed just now I cant afford to replace it just yet (I will soon however)
GeoRonin

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

georonin wrote:Motherboards a bit fucked basically (Half my ram slots don't work, things stop working randomly) so not to bad to fix, but being unemployed just now I cant afford to replace it just yet (I will soon however)
I've got an Asus P5Q Deluxe and all the RAM to go with it, plus an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Dunno if it's too shit now, but can send it over if you want.
CP

Obraxis
YO Clan Member

Post by Obraxis » Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

CheesyPeteza wrote:
georonin wrote:Motherboards a bit fucked basically (Half my ram slots don't work, things stop working randomly) so not to bad to fix, but being unemployed just now I cant afford to replace it just yet (I will soon however)
I've got an Asus P5Q Deluxe and all the RAM to go with it, plus an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Dunno if it's too shit now, but can send it over if you want.
If you overclock that and pair it with a half decent GFX card, it could easily handle NS2. :)

georonin
YO Clan Member

Post by georonin » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm

cheers for the offer but I should be able to afford a new one soon :)

The main thing I would say is we should add some of the custom maps that re good rather than remove any to give more variation.
GeoRonin

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Wed May 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Lots of different opinions here. Perhaps a vote map would be the fairest?
CP

Ernil

Post by Ernil » Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 am

Not a big fan of the map, but id hate it if we only had a few maps to cycle, since it gets boring rather fast. Even if the map is crap as all of you stated so far, i still prefer to have it in the cycle just to spice things up >)

Paul-Hewson

Post by Paul-Hewson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Love all maps, even the worse one because you can still have big challenging game full of laugh & fun. Just got out of a funny minecraft and last sunday a terrible one on refinery.
The maps aren't really the problem of "boring" game, it's relying on the team balance itself.
Princess' Knight, BattleSheep, PomPomGorgePrincess'