I'm getting a new computer...

Forum for general honest to goodness bonding. Babblers, spammers and all visitors welcome.

Moderator: YO Members

Rebellion
GAYLORD OF YO

I'm getting a new computer...

Post by Rebellion » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

:spam:
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Midi Tower
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
PSU: Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) GS 700W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, 240
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, "BLACK - Dual Fan -DD"
Storage: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 550MB/520MB/s read/write, SandForce® SF-2281,
Edit: Also pricetag is 9649 SEK, 905,53 GBP or 1111,43 EUR
and some silly CPU fan snb made me buy.

Now for those of you who don't speak computer, here's an illustration of what it means:

:knob:

also ty bums in #Yo-clan for helping me choose \o/

Obraxis
YO Clan Member

Re: I'm getting a new computer...

Post by Obraxis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Yay! :D

princess
YO Clan Member

Post by princess » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Hah, nice one Reb. Does this mean you might play a bit more NS2 :P

Image I'm a twit

NiteFox

Post by NiteFox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm

why only 1600mhz memory? you know you can hit 2800mhz (of course those cards are about the price of a vid card LOL) I have 2144's? and they cost me the same as 1600mhz lol, and you really do notice the speeed.
Hear nein Evil, See nein Evil, Speak nein Evil

Rebellion
GAYLORD OF YO

Post by Rebellion » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

NiteFox wrote:why only 1600mhz memory? you know you can hit 2800mhz (of course those cards are about the price of a vid card LOL) I have 2144's? and they cost me the same as 1600mhz lol, and you really do notice the speeed.
I'm a poor student :<
but anyway, cba to change the order now anyway, so I'll just upgrade RAM if I actually see the need for it :P
I've never actually had my RAM act as a bottleneck, so not that bothered.
It's usually my CPU that acts as the bottleneck ;/

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am

I have a similar spec Rebellion, wait till you get it then realise that 4 cores doesn't actually help that much and the bottleneck isn't your GFX card anymore it's the CPU. The realisation you just bought the best PC money can buy and it still struggles with NS2 lol.

You will need to overclock the CPU which is thankfully easily achievable at 4.5Ghz and explains why SNB made you buy whatever the fancy fan is.

After all that, you have a PC that can run NS2 fine most of the time, but forget dreams of constant 100fps.

SSD is best gets you into the game and new maps so fast, I refuse to use PCs without them now.
CP

princess
YO Clan Member

Post by princess » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

I've had a PC overhaul and my loading times are super quick now. I have an SSD. I have, however, seen on the Multiplay information site thing that they seem to be having a fair few SSD failures. Are they known to have a short life? I'd have though that having no moving parts makes them more robust. I've not looked into the lifespan of SSDs at all but seeing a butt load of MPUK ones failing makes me worry, as I have had many, many, many, many HD failures in the past.

Image I'm a twit

MrYiff
YO Clan Member

Post by MrYiff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:05 pm

princess wrote:I've had a PC overhaul and my loading times are super quick now. I have an SSD. I have, however, seen on the Multiplay information site thing that they seem to be having a fair few SSD failures. Are they known to have a short life? I'd have though that having no moving parts makes them more robust. I've not looked into the lifespan of SSDs at all but seeing a butt load of MPUK ones failing makes me worry, as I have had many, many, many, many HD failures in the past.
Yeah, they do generally have a shorter lifespan than normal HDDs as each bit of memory can only be written to so many times before it fails, most SSD's will come with some redundant memory onboard to account for this and automatically move data around to extend the life as long as possible but it will still normally fail sooner than a mechanical hdd.

CheesyPeteza

Post by CheesyPeteza » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm

princess wrote:I've had a PC overhaul and my loading times are super quick now. I have an SSD. I have, however, seen on the Multiplay information site thing that they seem to be having a fair few SSD failures. Are they known to have a short life? I'd have though that having no moving parts makes them more robust. I've not looked into the lifespan of SSDs at all but seeing a butt load of MPUK ones failing makes me worry, as I have had many, many, many, many HD failures in the past.

Pretty much every SSD comes with a 3 year guarantee sometimes 5. That says enough for me, if it happened all the time they wouldn't make a profit. Also when SSDs fail they go into read only mode so you can still copy the data from it to a new SSD.

The failure rate thing is exaggerated, for some reason techies like to scare people about every new technology. If multiplay really cared then they would use RAID so they could just swap one out if it died.

So overall the chances of it failing are low, but if it does happen you get a new one for free and you can copy all your data from it. Happy days.
CP

MrYiff
YO Clan Member

Post by MrYiff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:00 pm

More than likely aswell they are using consumer SSD's in the servers rather than the much more expensive enterprise ones - basically because the servers are constantly doing stuff 24/7 they put more stress on the drives and so they hit their maximum use limits a lot faster than if they were in a normal persons desktop PC, but its cheaper for them to keep replacing failed drives more often than it is to spend more money buying enterprise ssds that last longer.

Scant.en
CULLED!

Post by Scant.en » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm

I would have given you totally awesome buying advice. I even would have packed it out with super useful stuff like active memory coolers (with fans that spin super fast to make your computer go super fast as well). There are passive ones I saw on ebay that come in pink as well.

I think it may be time that I got an SSD now that 512 is affordable and steam library can finally be in split locations. Also whilst it's nice that you can recover data after write exhaustion, you're totally buggered if it's an actual failure. In that kind of situation you're probably better off with a mechanical drive which is also more likely to be 'slightly buggered' (technical term) prior to being 'completely buggered'. SSD will probably just not get out of bed one morning.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Why is there are rabbit in my signature...?

Rebellion
GAYLORD OF YO

Post by Rebellion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Scant.en wrote:I would have given you totally awesome buying advice. I even would have packed it out with super useful stuff like active memory coolers (with fans that spin super fast to make your computer go super fast as well). There are passive ones I saw on ebay that come in pink as well.

I think it may be time that I got an SSD now that 512 is affordable and steam library can finally be in split locations. Also whilst it's nice that you can recover data after write exhaustion, you're totally buggered if it's an actual failure. In that kind of situation you're probably better off with a mechanical drive which is also more likely to be 'slightly buggered' (technical term) prior to being 'completely buggered'. SSD will probably just not get out of bed one morning.
Well most people don't hoard like you :P
I keep any important files I have backed up on several discs as well as online, and my important files don't go over 100mb total.
Also, you're going to help me put it together (and oc it) this weekend, so no drinking! :knob:

Scant.en
CULLED!

Post by Scant.en » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

It's not hoarding! You wouldn't call a librarian a hoarder. I am thinking of finally getting around to setting up a convenient NAS for backups though... It'd be a royal pain if I lost some of my rips hard work. Getting quite expensive to back that much up though :cry:.

More importantly I see no reason why PC building / overclocking and drinking should be mutually exclusive. We could make rules, like every time you say 'thingy' or 'whatjamacallit' you have to take two fingers. Also, you didn't say anything about falling asleep so I'll assume that's acceptable. :zzz:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Why is there are rabbit in my signature...?

Rebellion
GAYLORD OF YO

Post by Rebellion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Scant.en wrote:It's not hoarding! You wouldn't call a librarian a hoarder. I am thinking of finally getting around to setting up a convenient NAS for backups though... It'd be a royal pain if I lost some of my rips hard work. Getting quite expensive to back that much up though :cry:.

More importantly I see no reason why PC building / overclocking and drinking should be mutually exclusive. We could make rules, like every time you say 'thingy' or 'whatjamacallit' you have to take two fingers. Also, you didn't say anything about falling asleep so I'll assume that's acceptable. :zzz:
That sounds fun actually...
Procure alcohol and we shall see how drunk you are come PC completion!

NiteFox

Post by NiteFox » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 am

Reb its called a external hard drive, they are relatively cheap... I have a couple for different uses... and i only bother moving data when its +30GB on the internal lol... Lets just say, when my internet is down... I don't need netflix to continue lol.
Hear nein Evil, See nein Evil, Speak nein Evil